Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Welcome! 
Before I start my review, I  want to make an announcement. That contest that you've been hearing about? (Click HERE for details or go up to the page called "Contests!" on the bar on top of this post) Well, I finally got enough entries to set a due date! All submissions are due on January 16, 2014. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor. 


This is going to be a very brief review because I really don't have much to say about the book! I wanted to review it because this book was such a hot item off the presses and I wanted to hear your thoughts on it as well! :) 

SPOILER FREE REVIEW! 

Title: The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green

Genre: realistic fiction

Synopsis: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Good stuff: I think this book portrayed what it would be like to live with cancer very well. It made me look at my own life and value it more! 
I liked the love story. Throughout the book, I gradually grew to love their relationship more and more. Augustus would do anything for Hazel and it showed. 
Some parts were a little predictable. In a horrible way, I loved the twist at the end because I could never see it coming (that's a lie because someone spoiled it, but if they hadn't...). 
I loved Augustus's analogy where he put a cigarette in his mouth, but never gave it the power to do it's killing. 

Bad stuff: This book had a slight language problem. There was some inappropriate things that could have easily been taken out, but since this is John Green we're talking about, of course they were added. scandalous scene where something scandalous happens. I'll let you guess what. 
As you can tell, I really don't have a positive opinion on John Green. I tried to read another one of his books last year and didn't make it. HERE's the review on that. 
Another thing was, I just didn't connect with the characters! Hazel seemed so shallow and whiney throughout the book, and it didn't seem like she appreciated the life she was living right now. She was always off into the past or future. To me, Hazel always had some negative outlook on things. 
Augustus was kind of creepy at the beginning... Honestly, Hazel just met the guy that day and she's already over at his house sitting next to him on the couch watching movies. She knew nothing about him. 

Rating: 3 out of 5. I wasn't in love with the characters or the plot, but I did like the love story and overall the author had a good intent when he set out to write TFIOS.  

Recommended Readers: High school on. 

Companion Books: None. However they are going to make a movie which I am excited for! 



Comments: Someone thought it would be funny to spoil the ending when they saw me reading it, so I knew what was going to happen. I honestly think that effected my experience negatively while reading the book. I was prepared for what happened, so nothing came as a shock to me. 
I urge you to read it (I think it's worth it), but caution you to be mature and expect this book to a bit racy at times. 




What did you guys think of this book? Comments? Questions it left you with? 

<3 July

Comments

  1. No one spoiled TFIOS for me, but someone spoiled part of Divergent, and ugh. People who do that are no fun.
    I wish you'd like TFIOS more! It was one of my favorite books of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Divergent yet, but I can't wait to! I've heard such good things about it.
      There was just so much hype about TFIOS that I was probably expecting too much :(

      Delete
  2. I am sorry that the book was spoiled for you. I guess when I told you that there were not a lot of foul language in it I was mistaken. I don't remember that much of it, but I guess I was wrong. I am so excited for the movie. My friend and I have been counting down the days since last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there was enough for me to note, but not enough to make me stop reading the book, so of course I didn't like it, but I could handle it :)
      I'm pretty excited to! I think I'll be cool to actually see a visual of it and I'm hoping it will make me like the book more :P They better not change it much...
      How many days from today?? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from y'all and having good discussions as long as they're kept respectful. Thanks again for dropping by my little corner of the blogosphere. I'd really appreciate if you could give me a follow as well *hint, hint* Happy blogging!

Popular Posts