A book review: The Golden Hour

Hey guys! I'm on my iPod so I apologize for any errors... 
I'm sure that by now you probably figure that either a. I'm dead, b. I fell into a boiling vat of Jello ( as Sea J would say), or c. I am ignoring you. Well if you picked choice a, b, or c, you are incorrect. The correct answer was d. None of the above. I do not have access to a computer so I haven't been able to blog or comment on your lovely blogs! Anyway, I told you that this summer I will be going to Colorado for vacation, and I'm sure you've heard of the wildfires? So we don't know if we'll be able to go or mot. I'm still hoping! 
Today I was going to go somewhere with my grandma and my two little cousins (ages 2 and 4) so we were driving on the road, well duh, and my cousins were in the back seats and my gma and I were in the front. We were gonna turn on to the next road when a of the sudden we were all whipped forward. I looked back and one of those big moving trucks had hit my gma's little car! First my grandma checked to see if my little cousins were all right because the back of the car was hit and they were sitting in the back. Thankfully they were ok, and then she went to inspect the damage. Her truck was all bashed in and of course there wasn't a single scratch on the truck because it was do big. It is 98 degrees here today and we sat out there with no air conditioning for over an hour! The police dude still hadn't shown up so my grandma just got the guy who hit us's name and we left for home... Sigh. I'm just glad we were all ok....

Anyway, on to a brighter note, a book review! I like just finished this book, so here goes!

Title: The Golden Hour

Author: Maiya Williams

Genre: Historical/Science fiction

Page # : 257

Thirteen-year-old Rowan and his eleven-year-old sister Nina, still saddened by the death of their mother the year before, experience an unusual adventure when they come to stay with their two eccentric great-aunts in a small town on the coast of Maine. They discover true friendships with twin brother and sister, Xanthe and Xavier; discover a time portal in an abandoned, rundown hotel; and take a dangerous adventure to France in the time of French revolution!

My thoughts: I personally loathe historical fiction. Somehow, I LOVED this book though! Maybe it was the author's clever way of tying everything together, or maybe how there was a little science fiction sprinkled on top. I would recommend this book highly!

Ages of Interest: I would say a wide variety of ages would like this, but middle school would probably be the best targeted age. There is a bit of blood and an execution or two, but overall, I think a lot of people would like it. 

Don't let the cover scare you away! Please pick this book up from the library the next time you go. 

Rating: 4.8 golden keys out of five for good book-i-ness!

Read, read, read!

Julyabelle

Oh one more thing! I'm hoping to get someone from the blog Books, Books Everywhere to do a guest post once a week, and I hope it turns out, but it's a little hard to get a hold of them regularly over email, so hopefully you'll be hearing from somebody besides me soon ;)

Comments

Popular Posts