The Book Thief

Hello everybody! I'm sure you've all enjoyed your weekends! I know I sure have! I finished my book,  The Book Thief and here I am to review it!

TITLE: The Book Thief

AUTHOR: Markus Zusak

GENRE: historical fiction 

SYNOPSIS: I am 99% sure that this book is written in the perspective of death, although it never tells you flat out. "Death" follows the tail of a girl named Liesel Meminger who by her brother's snowy graveside, finds a book called The Gravedigger's Handbook. That is her first act of thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found. Liesel grows up with Rudy, her lovable neighbor boy who demands a kiss that Liesel constantly refuses to give. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's word is both opened up and closed down. She bonds with the Jew and must learn to keep the dangerous secret, even from Rudy. 

GOOD STUFF: Love, loyalty, emotional, reading, learning, determination, kindness, struggles, courage, friendship

BAD STUFF: war, sadness, swearing, criminality

RATING: I am giving this book a 8.5 because I loved it! Half a point is lost because of one brief inappropriate part and the other half is lost because there is a lot of swearing in English and German. And the other half because I almost cried at the end (I can't tell you why). Another thing that bugged me is that "Death" would give you peaks into the future of the story. Like in the middle of the book, he tells you that some main characters die when that doesn't really happen till the end of the book. That fact bugged me, but it also made me keep reading because I wanted to know what really happened to them.

RECOMMENDED READERS: 13 (because that is my age) - infinity (my grandma actually recommended this book to me because she read it for her old people book club)

COMPANION BOOKS: none

I would HIGHLY recommend this book but you have to be a little careful when you read it. Don't let the fact that it is in the perspective of death fool you, it follow's Liesel so much that a lot of the time I forgot that it was even written by death. It just sounds like a narrater most of the time but don't let that stop you either because there is enough dialogue so it isn't boring. 

Happy reading!
July

Comments

Popular Posts